msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Red Ribbons

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Fi" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Red Ribbons
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 07:11:54 -0400

Karen,
You are right on the mark and getting out there in any riding sporting type of event will test you and your horse's mettle!
Many of our team members participate in Open Judged Trail Rides. A working MSAR horse and rider may not win Champion or Reserve, but they should come away form such an event with a ribbon or two. Several other members compete in Endurance Events (25, 50, 75, and 100 miles) and we have a few members who are drag riders for the Old Dominion, which is an east coast endurance club. In fact one of our team members is a two time first place winner of the 100 mile Cavalry event (held somewhere in California).

Our team's new Training Officer created a nice powerpoint slide show that outlines our Horse and Rider Evaluation (HRE). The slideshow presentation has proven to be a very succesful recruitment tool. The presentation explains up front what riding skills are expected and what areas will be tested. We make it very clear that our MSAR team does NOT teach basic horsemanship or trail riding. The HRE is very basic test that all prospective members [and all new horses of curate members] must successfully complete before the horse and rider team [as a single entity] are considered suitable for MSAR training activities . The HRE includes basic ring, field and trail riding exercises. Both Irv and Una have observed the HRE in person and Una was able to participate in the trail section of the HRE.
Karen, if you or anyone else would like a copy of the HRE slideshow, simply email <officers@trotsar.org> attn: Dr. McGuinness, to request an electronic copy. Thanks to Una suggestion, this year we have included a HRE ring map that outlines and describes a course layout that each horse and rider must first complete (alone) in the ring. Each horse and rider are observed alone in the ring as they complete each outlined skill following the directions of the course map . All prospective horse and rider teams who complete the ring course will then move on the testing with other horses for additional ring work, before trail riding skills are tested.

Both publications (Map & Slideshow) are the property of TROTSAR, but as long as credit is given to the Team, it is free to be used by other MSAR teams.
Tomi`
Commander
TrotSAR Mounted Team
Maryland

Karen Nesbitt wrote:

One of the advantages of hunting is it is potentially rigorous riding and good for fitness of horse and rider. Do MSAR groups have any proposed standard to identify greener or more anxious horses to riders that may be following?