msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] State MSAR Standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] State MSAR Standards
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 07:44:50 -0600

Tm' Fi wrote:
>Currently, I have only found State accepted/approved MSAR standards for
>California, Maine, and Virginia.

Those are all that I have found. As I found them, I put links to
them on the MSAR units directory, at the bottom of each state's
listings: http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/units/ . I last searched
for them about a year ago, but I doubt any more have come online
since then.

Re the accepted/approved issue, please note that Maine's standards
are promulgated by a statewide SAR responders' association, not an
authority having jurisdiction (AHJ).

New Mexico and Oregon are working on state standards for MSAR.
The situation in New Mexico seems similar to that in Maine: the
body responsible for developing standards is the statewide SAR
responders' association, NMESC, but the AHJ is the state's SAR
Resource Office, and that office currently does not officially
recognize any of the existing SAR standards advanced by NMESC.
That is not to say the office does not approve of them, but on
the other hand the office has recognized our statewide minimum
SAR certification, PACE. These things take time, especially if
they are to be done well.