msar-riders - [MSAR] State MSAR Standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Fi" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] State MSAR Standards
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 16:03:28 -0400

With the recent discussion about standards, I was wondering how many (and which) States have published MSAR standards in place. In Virginia there is a complete set of search and rescue standards that are maintained by the Virginia Search and Rescue Council (VASARCo) and equine standards are included. The Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM) oversees SAR operations in the State and utilizes recognized SAR resources for their EMAC MOU's. All VA resources must meet the approval of VASARCo who is the inspecting SAR entity for VDEM. Currently the State of Maryland does not have established SAR or MSAR standards and the burden of training, certification and insurance falls upon each SAR team.
Una, you know the MSAR-Riders historical files better than anyone else. Would you happen to know how many States have published MSAR standards or should we poll the list's readers?
Tomi`
TROTSAR