msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] More helmet info + reflective tape

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Joseph Huston" <jchuston@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] More helmet info + reflective tape
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:00:43 -0500

Having ridden horses in many different types of terrain, anything that
allows the rider and horse to be more visible should be a good thing.
However, I have owned several horses that were very cautious around "new"
things and since I was aware of this in them, I always presented new stuff
to them over an extended period until they appeared to comfortable with the
items.

Joe

certified riding helmets. I am not a climber, but what is their rationale?
The more visible, the better on horseback in the woods/terrain? In several
of my tack catalogs, they sell reflective leg and tail bands for horses
along with reflective vests. I wonder if you would need to acclimate the
horses to the reflective stuff for those that may be spooked by it at
first.