msar-riders - [MSAR] FIRST AID KITS...

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] FIRST AID KITS...
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 11:23:03 -0500

[This is a combination of two posts from Karen Nesbitt. I have
deleted HTML duplicates. -Una]

The list below are items are items that EQUIMEDIC (r)
has in their first aid trailer kit.

Small Trailering Soft Sided Bag
10 long handled cotton tipped swabs
8 medical towels
6 wood applicators
24 non-sterile gauze pads
6 sterile gauze pads
5 non-adherent gauze pads
3 3M Vetrap Bandaging Tape
1 one third pound roll of cotton
1 adhesive tape roll
10 alcohol wipes
10 hand sanitizing towelettes
4 povidone iodine swabsticks
1 four ounce eye wash
1 betadine surgical scrub
1 eight ounce hydrogen peroxide
8 iodine wipes
1 flashlight
6 exam gloves
1 hoof pick
1 tourniquet
1 bandage scissors
4 bandage pins
5 18 gauge by one inch needles
2 ten cc syringes
2 twenty cc syringes
1 thirty five cc syringe
1 stainless steel thumb forcep
1 wrap cutter
10 antibiotic foil pouches
6 three quarter inch adhesive bandages
6 one inch adhesive bandages
2 Electrolyte Gold packets
1 two ounce small antiseptic ointment
1 four and a half ounce small liniment
1 six ounce bloodstop

IMPORTANT small item things I see missing in the commercial trailer kit
are:

A pad of paper and pen
stethyscope
thermometer
scissors (2pair) - bandaid snips and cloth
a small instruction book on simple but effective first aid
ziploc baggies of various sizes
trash bags
roll of saran wrap
solar blanket
bed sheet
cord - strong but thin
ace bandages both in wie and narrow
leg wraps and cotton pads or quilt pads
ladies hygiene pads and or diapers
foam cloth whiplash neck collar
neophreme knee brace wraps for human
matches (waterproof)
snakebite kite
magnifying glass
flint
aspirin
Tylenol and or other OTC pain releif
needle and thread
hot cold ice pak
washcloths and towels
water bottle and water
hankerchief
surgical masks
saline
electrolytes for the horses
snack food, gator aid, orange juice small easy open cans
a small leather repair kit
rain ponchos
salt tablets
wrist wraps
amonia capsules
whistle
finger splint
compass or gps
one small first aid pak (these come in a small plastic box and are very
handy)
QUIET AND CALM PASTE
---------------------------
Things I find particularlly useless in the commercial kit unless you have
the medication to go with are the syringes and needles and you know what you
are really doing there. The needles are questionable. However the syringes
can be of value in debriding wounds. Some of the other items in the amounts
they suggest are high and low in what I would prefer to carry. The number of
certain iems over others when you consider the mess a horse can get into,
likewise a human.

The nylon carrier - I prefer to use a five gallon bucket with lid for my
trailer aid kit
and use a nylon backback to put what I would take on the trail that can
then be put into a saddle bag. The bucket is air tight and keeps things
clean and I like to pack each item in a ziploc bag to keep things even
cleaner. We are working in a naturally dirty environment and these things
can be protected. The bucket can come in handy for a spare water bucket if
needed back at the base.

The backpack can be worn by the rider and the saddle bags or cantle bag can
then also be used to carry other things. I like to have a colapsable vynal
cooler that fits into my saddle bag that closes with a zipper. I can put a
six pack of drinks in that with a sandwich or what ever food.and an ice pak

My saddle bags of choice are codura with leather buckles...they are strong
and flexible...I find the leather ones leave something to be desired n
packing them, but are also nice depending on the trip.

I would prefer to avoid high attention colors in a first aid kit simply
because it is something I take responsibility in carrying and I would not it
easily visually to be stolen while either on a trail ride or other. Besides
the fact that eventually the "brite" colors will also scrubby looking and
dirty.

I find the over the horn aid kits a hassle since I like to carry a lariet
rope and like my horn free of any encumberances. My rope is an absolute
must carry.

Bottomline...there is more we can add and stuff we can leave, none of it is
any good unless you know how to use it and every situation is different

How many of each item is debateable, some people like to carry horse
tranqualizers
and those are not always available to the general public.

There is more, but one other item in this day that is of importance...-
the ever poplular - mouth peices for mouth to mouth!

Question, where are good places to get some of these things for our first
aid kits that normally are not seen in the local drug stores!? See my other
post with more extended list...You will know what items when you go to look
for them, that is if you do not have them already and case in point the
example above and if you are not a already a paramedic?

Karen Nesbitt
Illinois - Unaffiliated
Iroqouis County

VISIT US AT: