msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Trail Bags?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Kate Beardsley" <katebeardsley@hotmail.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Trail Bags?
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 19:00:46 +0000

Claudia,
Great topic! I'm a bit of a saddle bag snob and seem to never be truly happy with what I can find.

As far as cantle bag/rear saddle bag combos, the two best options I've found are Saddle Software Systems and TrailMax.

Saddle Software Systems are found at: http://www.havesaddlewilltravel.com/store/index.php/cPath/45
They are spendy, but do seem to be made durably and with fairly nice design. There are lots of options to mix & match. Most of the saddle bags come designed to attach to "saddle suspenders" that lay across the back of your saddle, then you choose what size and design of actual saddle bags you clip on. The saddle bags also can be used as back packs and bike panniers. Then you can choose to add one of several styles of cantle bags on top of your saddle bags. When this company first started, I got very irritated because buyers were encouraged to buy the largest saddle bags and cantle bags and I found all sorts of people overloading their horses and creating problems (they had the space - why not fill it?). Now there are more choices and the buyer can choose what size load to carry.

TrailMax products can be found at:
http://www.outfitterssupply.com/products.asp?dept=10
This company also has saddle bags and cantle bags that you can mix & match to some extent. They are less expensive than SSS, but also not quite the quality. I see a lot of people on the trail with TrailMax.

I'd love to hear what other options folks have found as I will be replacing my system this year.(I replaced my 18 year old system last year with a cheap knock-off that is NOT sufficient.)
Kate

"We are what we repeatedly do."

Kate Beardsley
...building relationships