msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Riding alone

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo <pennbo@bbv.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Riding alone
  • Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 09:19:09 -0800

I spend a lot of time alone in the forest- on foot and on horseback. I am very comfortable that way. However during a search mission I prefer to have another with me. One simple reason- during a search I may go places I would choose NOT to go on my own. Maybe too deep into an unexplored canyon, across a shale slope, up into an area full of dead fall and by extension predators. I believe that another searcher along for the 'ride' is a modicrum of protection for both myself and for them. IF the unforseeable happens and one of us is either injured or in a difficult situation- help is close by. Also what would a single MSAR rider do if they found the subject injured and 20 feet down a cliff wall in an area where cell phone's/radio's dont' work and with night fast approaching? It would be possible to scramble down the cliff to attend to the injuries OR it would be possible to ride out, who knows how far, to find cell phone or radio signal. In less strenuous territory this might not be as much of an issue. IF a single rider was asked to simply carry messages/information/supplies to a deployed team I would have much less hesitation- the rider could then follow a previously laid out route OR choose their own way as they go to the assigned area. This is much the same way we have used vehicles with single drivers during missions. They stay on assigned routes and deliver to assigned points.

Just my thoughts on this issue.

Chris Pennington
MSAR