msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Suggestions for MSAR related classes at WA State SAR Conference

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Suggestions for MSAR related classes at WA State SAR Conference
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:31:19 -0700

Barbara Sly wrote:
>This hands on idea sounds very worthwhile. As you suggest, it should be
>under supervision of a professional farrier. I would want to work on my
>own
>horse so I would be accountable for any mistakes in nail placement.

Yes. I have a horse suitable for this. I would not allow any
student to nail a shoe on my horse. But I would allow them to
remove a shoe, and its nails, and rasp the foot to prepare it
for going barefoot. (Also, consider that if the shoe is merely
loose or pulled, the existing nail holes can be used; my
farrier gave me a set of my horses' old shoes and nails for
this very purpose, with the understanding that I would use the
existing nail holes and not attempt to trim the hoof nor nail
new holes.)

>Una - can you describe a sweep width experiment for mounted member
>participation?

See this:
htt://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-o/g-opr/nsarc/LandSweepWidthDemoReportFinal.pdf

It includes reports of experiments in Washington State (at your
annual SAR conference) and in New Mexico (at ESCAPE), and one
experiment in California that involved mounted searchers. The
intent of the report is to facilitate the independent running
and analysis of future experiments. I have thoroughly reviewed
the entire report for its authors, and I participated in the
New Mexico experiment. I would like to run a future experiment,
especially one including horses. I expect many lessons can be
learned there.