msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] First responders

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] First responders
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 20:30:39 -0700

irvin lichtenstein wrote:
>I think you have to redefine "first responder".

I think so too. LART are not first responders, except perhaps
in the special case of (selected) livestock evacuation in the
face of wildfire or other disaster.

>To avoid the 9MM solution most jurisdictions have a vet on call if the owner
>does not.

Wouldn't LART responders be expected to perform euthanasia?

>This is probably a good function for MSAR personnel.

I would downgrade from "is probably" to "might be". LART may
involve animals other than horses. In my area, most trailers
on the highway are stuffed with goods. Those carrying animals
most often are carrying cattle; horses are a distant second.
I know more than enough about safely moving multi-ton objects,
but only just enough about cattle to know not to mess with
them. In my area, cattle almost always, and horses often are
tightly packed in the trailer. So a LART response team must
be more than a couple of individuals, because usually there
are more than a couple of large animals to deal with.

Many MSAR responders are not prepared to respond to accident
scenes (or they would be EMTs or VFD first responders).

Clearly, there are some overlapping skills between MSAR and
LART, but those skills are a minority. LART is a fairly large
step away from MSAR; a responsible MSAR unit will not attempt
to provide LART services in a casual manner.

The MSAR community, and perhaps others (saddle clubs come to
mind) might benefit a lot from an introductory video or other
training that addresses the question "Is LART right for us?".
Does such a thing exist?