msar-riders - [MSAR] Frank discussion

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Frank discussion
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 21:41:42 -0700

I see that it is once again time for me to don my "listadmin" hat
and explain a few details of my policy re MSAR-Riders. Off list,
I have received some complaints (?) about ego trips and politics,
and also some questions re how I manage to remain calm and stay
on focus. As some of you know first hand, I am extremely intense.
Calm is not my default behavior, by any means. If I remain calm
reading MSAR-Riders, it is because nothing I read here upsets me.

The bottom line is this: good management of SAR administrative
units and field teams *requires* frank discussion of any and all
issues perceived by the people involved.

One way we can help each other is to ask questions to dig out the
details, share relevant experiences, offer solutions, explain the
"other guy's" likely concerns, and show how the situation can be
seen in a more constructive light. Our objective here is to help
one another not only to see the "big picture", but also to see it
from varied points of view.

  • [MSAR] Frank discussion, Una Smith, 12/04/2005