msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted orienteering

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted orienteering
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:42:00 -0400

My limited experience indicates that there are at least two kinds of
competitors- the ones who want to be exacting and win by being "perfect" and
those who figure they are out in the woods and good enough is good enough to
get within sighting distance.

I have seen competitors glued to their compass course, picking guide points
every 100 yards or so and then missing the marker by hundred yards because
they (or the course designer) were off by a 1/2 degree magnetic. These guys
never finish because they have to hunt for markers or retrace and reshoot
all the time.

On the other hand there are the "good enough" people who look at a map,
select some terrain feature to guide on, glance at a compass to see where
"that a way" is and go. They tend to spot markers farther out and hit more
the first time, finishing complete and on time.

When teaching map and compass the same seems to apply-- there are those
instances where fractions of a degree, declination, correction, and map
anomalies count. But with 1:10K or 1:25K maps, known boundaries and $10.95
compasses "good enough" is often good enough.

The lack of care for the animal when crashing through the woods is a rider
problem. SAR riders who have been educated as to the risks tend to be more
careful on a mission as there is probably less competition between riders
and the need for speed may be reduced in favor of thoroughness.
Ideal time rides reduce the stress except that the rider may not know the
time or the distance and therefore may rush through some sections to save
time for more difficult sections. Most of the actual injuries I have seen
usually involved transitions from one trail surface to another or going
around a vehicle gate using the people pass. Horses get scraped up or even
fall as riders charge through. We have also seen shoes fly off when a
stretch of wide open trail beckons.