msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted Orienteering

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted Orienteering
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 13:15:51 -0600

Brian Dix wrote:
>>I have been involved with IMO (Idaho Mounted Orienteering) for about 5
>>years now. I have been a participant, ride manager, and board member.
>>What would you like to know?

Hi Brian. Thanks for de-lurking today! And for the name of
your MSAR unit; I found the website for Gem County Sheriff's
Posse and added it to the directory of MSAR unit websites on
http://www.ibiblio.org/msar.

I also checked out Idaho Mounted Orienteering's website,
http://www.idahomountedorienteering.org/ . Here are a couple
of quotes from it, relating to what I am interested to know:

>At most rides there is a non-competitive Short Course. The
>short course covers less distance than the regular course
>and landmarks and markers are easier to identify and locate
>than those on the competitive route.

What exactly are landmarks? And what makes landmarks and
markers easier to identify and locate?

>The map used in IMO events is, usually, a topographical map.
>There are five stations, or markers. marked on the map.
>These can be found in any order. Using the map, the
>competitors locate the area of the marker. On the back of
>the map compass degree bearings from two recognizable
>landmarks are given. The "X" made where the two bearing
>lines cross is where the marker can be found.

I assume that, like NACMO, IMO provides a topographic map
with large circles drawn on it? And the circles probably
are not centered on the location of the marker? What is
the diameter of the circles?

What is a recognizable landmark?

Thanks,