msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted orienteering

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: KKMoonshadowrnch@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted orienteering
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 15:14:49 -0400

[Deleted HTML duplicate, added In-Reply-To header and ">" to
quote. -Una]

In a message dated 10/26/2005 6:43:15 AM Pacific Standard Time,
una.smith@att.net writes:

>The vet check
>seems to be most necessary for inexperienced riders; I have
>the impression that the necessity for vet checking has more
>to do with the emphasis in these sports on growing the sport
>as fast as possible, hence the constant need to recruit new
>competitors.

In endurance the vet check is there totaly to protect the horses from the
human hormones. Unfortunately the horse will usually give his all to the
rider
to the point of killing himself. The human that is consumed with the need
to "win" is not able to objectively evaluate his horse. It is less
noticeable
in Competitive Trail where there is no "race factor". The vet or lay judges
are there first to evaluate performance and second to protect the horse.
I haven't really felt an emphasis to recruit new competitors in
endurance but a definite push to educate new competitors in distance riding.
Actually there is more of a feeling that they have grown faster than they
can
reasonable handle. That's from my short experience of only about 4 years of
competing in endurance. More in Competitive Trail which is my first love.
Unfortuantely not many folks will subject themselves to the discipline of
Competitive Trail IMO and at least here in the PNW we have very limited
opportunities
to compete and a definite need to recruit new competitors.
At all levels there is a need for the veterinary control though but
you'll actually see the most percentage of veterinary pulls at the national
and
international levels of competition because the stakes are higher even
though the education and skill of the riders is much higher than at just a
local
endurance ride. It's just the human condition.
They have learned a lot in exercise physiology of the horse over the
last 50 years that endurance riding has been a sport. And some of the
Competitive Trail Veterinary and Lay judges are a wealth of information on
how to
cover miles on your horse and come away with plenty of horse left at the end
of
the day and that can go on and do the miles over a long career of distance
riding. This used to be in the realm of the Calvary and they would compete
in
100 mile races to see who was best able to take care of their horse and
cover
the miles. Unfortunately it's a lost art IMO among most other equestrian
sports and even recreational activities. Consideration of the horse is at
the
bottom of the list sometimes.

Kathy & Nick
Moonshadow Ranch