msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR to include ATV?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR to include ATV?
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 07:36:59 -0600

Lydia Mabry and I both are in New Mexico, but hundreds of
miles apart. Like her unit down south in Dona Ana County,
in the northern part of the state many SAR units have ATV
riders. Some are strictly ATV, or ATV and snowmobile, per
current conditions. Local MSAR units seem mostly to cross
over as 4WD units.

ATVs are so common here that our horses absolutely must be
okay with them coming at speed from behind etc. Ditto for
dirt (motor) bikes and mountain bikes.