msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Re: NASAR MSAR Practical standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Re: NASAR MSAR Practical standards
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 23:43:22 -0700

Tomi', I think you'd find it interesting to learn that each county in CA does their own thing for SAR. At the state level we now have some Mutual Aid guidelines built on a Typing system, with the idea that for Mutual Aid you can ask for a Type 3 and everyone understands the general requirements. However, that doesn't mean that all counties require their SAR personnel to meet the Mutual Aid guidelines. You'll still find a wide variety of training levels and expectations for SAR / MSAR in the various counties in CA, and also different Search/Rescue needs and resources. Talk to someone in 1 county about SAR, then talk to someone from a different county, and you might think you were on a different planet!

For example - A friend (in local MSAR) was down in So CA a few months ago, riding with a group of people. One of the riders had a wreck resulting in possible neck injury. They called 911. They were only about 1/2 mile from the road ... so the responding SAR personnel called in a nearby chopper to do an extraction. This was NORMAL for them. Wish we could call out with cell phones from our mountain riding trails and bring in a chopper for a 1/2 mile litter carry!

My county doesn't even HAVE a helicopter, and relies on CHP or a neighboring county for chopper support ... or we call the state level and ask for the Army chopper. But the CHP chopper is cool - sometimes they'll even "drop in" at one of our technical rescue trainings so we can all train together for extractions.

So having 2 committee members from CA does not automatically reflect similar background and experience, or even playing by the same rules. Crossing the county line in CA is kinda the same concept as going from 1 state to another on the east coast when it comes to SAR / MSAR.

Hmmm. My county isn't particularly large - about the same size as CT. Maybe you'll feel better about 2 committee members in CA if you think of the 58 counties as small states??? <VBG>
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R,