msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: Mares and Stallions

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: Mares and Stallions
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 19:54:05 -0800

Our group also does not allow stallions. While we can debate all day on
whether or not this is good/right/fair it really comes down to numbers-
insurance companies apparently have enough data to show that stallions
are more of a liability. Therefore many will not cover events/groups
where stallions are allowed. Thus our prohibition against stallions.

My personal opinion? Stallions require extra thought and care. Let's
face it - on a search we sometimes don't have time for either. We need
to be able to put our horses into ANY situation and have them be alright
with it. I know many stallions that are absolutely angels BUT put them
in with a mare in a group enclosure and they'll do as nature intended
them to. It's instinct not meanness.

Mares in season. If you have a mare that is a real pistol in season
(kicking, biting, etc) leave her home! If your mare is a "ho-hum, yes
I'm in season again" kind of gal then you should have no worries. By the
way- spaying a mare is a fairly simple and inexpensive procedure in case
anyone was interested. Usually can be done right at the stables.

What this all boils down to is control. We have to be sure we can
control our animals at any time and in any situation. You should know
your animal well enough to know what they can and can't tolerate. Some
of what they can't will be training issues but some will be nature.
Geldings and mares almost always cohab together just fine. No reason not
to as the "real" herd situation isn't in effect with geldings.

I love my mares. I own two geldings and a mare. I have my eye out for
another mare. Why? Same reason as stated above- a mare considers me part
of HER herd and will go the extra mile for my sake. A gelding is stuck
somewhere in limbo as far as herd instincts go. They don't have the
stallion instincts and they sure don't have the mare instincts. I love
mine anyways. You can ask a stallion, tell a gelding, but you have to
discuss it with a mare. My geldings go where I want them to- even if my
mare would say "no way- that's dangerous. Are you stupid or what?" <G>
(my mares have usually been right and their refusal a life saver!) My
SAR group has always been overwhelmingly pro-gelding. It took them
months to figure out that my old mare WAS a mare. She was just a good
solid rock-steady horse that they appreciated. They are aware my
youngest mount is a mare. They like her- in spite of it! <G> She is such
an excellent SAR horse and so sweet with everyone that they are changing
their minds about mares.

Be aware of and in tune with your horse. Know what they can and can't
tolerate. Know what you can and can't control. Do your best to make sure
you never become part of the problem.

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR