msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: Organization structure

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Lois Guyon <laguyon@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: Organization structure
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 17:51:08 -0800 (PST)

As we are forming our new MSAR group, we are wondering what is the best way to organize our relationship to the community.  We  have the blessing of the County Sheriff and wear uniforms that identify ourselves as a sheriff's group.  However, we are not funded by the sheriff's office although the group coordinator is a deputy sheriff.  We are considering having a free--standing non-profit structure.

The discussion about liability and insurance makes me question how we should be structured. I would like to see an organization chart showing the relationship of your MSAR group to other groups and agencies in your community.  What is working and what is not?  I see some of the issues tied to organization structure  as being liability, funding, ability to be called out, community status, etc.  What other issues are there?

Lois Guyon
Member, MSAR Unit
LaSalle County, IL

Do you Yahoo!?