msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] what to have in pack- and another question...

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "L. S." <obsar1864@hotmail.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] what to have in pack- and another question...
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:13:10 -0600

Una wrote:
Details?! Are you using GPS-enabled data-capable cell phones, like
the ones taxi drivers are using so much these days? I wish we could
use those, but too many of our SAR missions are in terrain (such as
mountain canyons) where cell coverage is poor.

Lauri:
No, but I'm curious to find out if my cell phone will register, as it is a gps enabled model. I don't know how our tech guys did it... I confess their contraption went right over my head...but they have a harness rigged that sends a constant signal back to the command computer from the GPS unit. We have enough to send a unit out with every team, ground, k-9 and mounted. I think they're taking some kinks out still. I'll tell you more next week, I think we'll be using them at training on Sunday.

We've also made a move to dual band radios. Of course we use the fire radios, but most of the team have purchased a radio that has the same bands as the fire radio, and also are hand held ham radios. We are in the process of all getting ham licenses. With the hand held hams, we should be able to communicate from command to field teams even if radio towers are down. A lesson learned after the team was called in to help after tornadoes wiped out Pierce City MO and Stockton MO last spring. The radios can act as repeaters for each other, I'll ask our communications leader to write something a little more detailed and technical about both the GPS set up and the radios. We use the talk abouts for in-team communication... if we get to spread out for voice contact.

Lauri

Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software — optimizes dial-up to the max! http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=byoa/plus&ST=1