msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR at SAR conferences

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR at SAR conferences
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 14:01:56 -0700

From: wwfarm
I believe the key is to offer general SAR training at trainings
that are geared at least 50% toward the mounted volunteer.
 The most successful trainings that I have participated at were
set up this way.  About a hour or two on the horses and a hour
or two off their horses.
While I agree the you suggest is method is effective, the SAR conference schedules I'm familiar with typically include bringing in an outside professional for the under saddle portion of the MSAR training. A couple of hours in a riding clinic-type environment would often barely scratch the surface, so the imported instructors want the entire day ... and sometimes the entire weekend.

Locally it is far easier to apply what you suggest for arranging training. Ride in the morning, classroom in the afternoon, or something similar. At least that way there is more focus on ground SAR training, which many MSAR teams lack One problem is that approach still isolates the MSAR riders from the other teams. So scheduling some kind of joint training helps, even if Mounted is off riding somewhere a portion of the time at least when on the ground the personnel are mingling and learning and working together. Joint training also creates the opportunity for ground SAR personnel to become more familiar with the horses/mules to increase their comfort zones with the otherwise rather foreign large critters. ;)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R,