msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Re: MSAR-riders Digest, Vol 9, Issue 6

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: JULIE FRANCO <snowyridgeranch@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Re: MSAR-riders Digest, Vol 9, Issue 6
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 18:30:40 -0700 (PDT)

Because I am new to Search and Rescue I am reluctant
to jump in with both feet to start "changing" what the
members are used to. But I can not emphasize enough
the importance of what Julie Hammond mentions, the
confidence to know exactly how to control your SAR
horse. That comes with experience and knowlege and
searching for a universal attitude that this is your
partner who will make mistakes or misunderstand.
Transfering lack of training for "bad" behavior is a
disservice to the horse. We all have holes here and
there in our training. Screaming, yelling, jerking on
the lead, smacking them with the reins accomplishes
nothing but defensive, fear-based behavior inthe
animal and an example of loss of temper in the owner.
Train, train and more training will smooth things out.
There is no room for impatience although we all feel
that way sometimes. Redirection to what they do well,
asking for something different and always watching out
for your own horse will help. I am no expert by any
means, but I have enough John Lyons training to know
there is always a way to work through a situation.
Parelli is also excellent and I have watched other
national trainers work their magic and it comes down
to training. Julie Franco PMSAR Kitsap County