msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR not yahoo

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR not yahoo
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 10:13:01 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Una Smith" <una@lanl.gov>
> A yahoo is someone who shows
> up for a SAR mission with:
>
> no pack
> no water
> no food
> no radio
> no compass
> no notepad and pen/pencil
> no map of any kind
> no appropriate clothing
> and
> no control of their horse

The SAR Management solution for this is to assign that person a task at the
base camp since they are obviously not prepared or safe to send into the
field. That kind of person would fall into the category of spontaneous or
convergent volunteer - where you find them something useful to do that
doesn't include anything critical to success. (I can get real creative about
that kind of task assignment. <g> ) But any team with personnel who show up
as described obviously doesn't have any standards that are enforced, and
their response area SAR management also apparently doesn't enforce any
standards. Not a Good Thing.

> Jorene, I hope you are reading this and that
> your MSAR presentation for managers describes and stresses
> these obligations, not just details what MSAR riders want from
> SAR management.

The phrase I use in the class material to describe the current status of
MSAR for use in SAR and disasters is "limited expectations" ... and that
applies to both SAR Management *and* MSAR teams. Immediately after that
slide I've included the Nat'l Geographic 1921 photo of the high line river
crossing. THAT should get people considering the idea that perhaps there is
more that an MSAR team can do <g> ... but only if properly trained and
equipped! ;)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA