msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] HORSE TRAINING

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] HORSE TRAINING
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 13:19:28 -0700

OH YES, Jorene!! Watching a fully trained horse in a spade bit be put through its paces is heaven on earth! The movements are so subtle it seems as if they are communicating psychically. The REAL vaqueros will tell anyone that it takes years to finish a horse in this way. And that means years of daily work. Not many 'modern' cowboys put in that kind of time, myself included!! <G>  You have been blessed to be acquainted with some real old timers. I know only a few and they are quite advanced in age. Wish I could've known them sooner!!
Isn't it awesome??? Mike MacDowell is not only a successful professional All-Around trainer, but is a nationally acclaimed custom traditional bit maker. (GORGEOUS silver work on his bits!) And Mike's personal horses are brought along using old vaquero methods, from Hackamore Horse to Bridle Horse over the course of many years. This man re-defines riding LIGHT and whispering communication. Even knowing to look for a cue, much of the time I can't see it. I've also seen him walk up to an anxious horse and watched that horse heave a huge sigh and relax. A magic touch. The closest thing to a *real* Horse Whisperer I know. ;)

Our trainer of 13+ years is a real gem. Shari Roder learned from several master horsemen, went on to All-Around at the world level and also focus on rehabbing problem horses. http://www.ceoates.com/shariroder/  I've watched her work some real miracles on horses on a greased downhill slide to the killers, often building trust and leadership where none existed. Christi (my daughter) trained with Shari for over 6 years and is - according to Shari - qualified to train. Christi chose to not pursue being a professional training outside horses - we have plenty around here that benefit from her skills. <g> My son-in-law also trained with Shari, but prefers starting the youngsters. I just hung around Shari and soaked up what I could, taking lessons when time permitted. I'll never make any claims to being a particularly talented rider, but I do have fun navigating Trail courses and such. I like the challenge of the step-by-step precision. ;)

Mike and Shari are in their 60s now, still doing incredible things with horses. I wish Shari hadn't relocated a couple of years ago. Now both of them are 3.5 - 4 hours away, so I don't get to see them often.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R,