msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] HORSE TRAINING

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] HORSE TRAINING
  • Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 12:25:55 -0700

When I mentioned generations of good horsemanship I was thinking more along the lines of the old vaqueros who brought training tools
 like the round pen into America.
OH YES, Jorene!! Watching a fully trained horse in a spade bit be put through its paces is heaven on earth! The movements are so subtle it seems as if they are communicating psychically. The REAL vaqueros will tell anyone that it takes years to finish a horse in this way. And that means years of daily work. Not many 'modern' cowboys put in that kind of time, myself included!! <G>  You have been blessed to be acquainted with some real old timers. I know only a few and they are quite advanced in age. Wish I could've known them sooner!!

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR