msar-riders - [MSAR] MSAR & K-9

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] MSAR & K-9
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 12:31:59 -0800

From: "Jenny Ryman" <gsdjen@ezworks.net>
> As a K9 handler (wilderness airscent and cadaver), we occasionally have
> callouts where there are also mounted search teams. It's an area I've been
> wanting to learn more about and the reason I've joined the list.

Welcome, Jenny, and bravo! Always a good idea to learn more about those you
might be working with on a SAR. And particularly important when there are
animals involved, because the animals also need to be comfortable in order
to do their job well. An important part of the horse's training for MSAR is
desensitization ... greatly reduce the "spook" so the rider has a calm and
reliable horse in any environment. And some horses are not comfortable
around dogs, just as some dogs aren't comfortable around horses.

If you have the opportunity - or created the opportunity - it would be great
for the dogs and horses to become accustomed to each other. While you're at
it, the humans can get to know each other and learn more about what the
other team can accomplish ... and determine how any cross-training or joint
training would be advantageous. I'd encourage the Search Dog handlers to
learn some fundamentals about riding - there may be opportunity to catch a
ride on a horse during a Wilderness SAR, or if the handler becomes
sick/injured you'd feel more comfortable if you're horse-transported out if
you've been in the saddle before. And your dog should also have a comfort
zone with you in the saddle *before* you're in the saddle on a mission or
injured.

Do your Wilderness SAR ever include horses packing in gear to set up a
remote base camp? If yes, consider the advantages of having prior joint
training such that you could ride. And if there is prior training with the
pack animals potentially the dog can safely ride in the pack saddle instead
of walking, conserving energy for the SAR. It would be critical for the dog
to remain quiet and still, and the correct (matching the dog) weight must be
on the opposite side of the pack for balance. (Key rule in packing is
balanced weight distribution.) And if the dog becomes tired/ill/injured, it
sure would be convenient if s/he could quietly ride out on a horse - if
necessary, across the saddle in front of a rider.

One bit of training that isn't common in MSAR - perhaps it should be? - that
may interest you is that a horse can be trained to air scent track a human.
The wise MSAR rider will listen to his/her horse and pay attention to the
subtle messages the horse is sending as you go down the trail - ear turned,
nose tipped for better scent, head angled for better vision, etc.- when the
horse is aware of something the rider may not be. But it is also possible to
train a horse to specifically track a human through scent.
http://www.airscentinghorse.com/

And something else that isn't common knowledge in MSAR ... with appropriate
training the rider can learn to do effective SAR man tracking from the
saddle. Sometimes the height and angle is an advantage. The rider also needs
to know when to dismount for a closer look. (I know a man tracking
instructor who also trains MSAR if anyone is interested. He is in NV and
will travel to train for not much more than expenses.) Combine the air
scenting horse with a trained MSAR man tracker, and that team has just
greatly increased the odds of locating the missing person. This would be
similar to a trained Search Dog with a man tracker handler ... but instead a
horse-rider combination.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R

  • [MSAR] MSAR & K-9, Jorene Downs, 03/13/2003