market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Digging Dogs and Feral Hogs, Anyone?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jackie Jameson <jacqueline.jameson AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Digging Dogs and Feral Hogs, Anyone?
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 15:08:57 -0500

I know Laurie's not interested in shooting, but since it's a larger problem I'll just add this. Feral hogs are a problem of our own making, since there are no predators, we need to deal with them.  Don't forget that they carry many diseases that transmit to farm animals and humans - many viruses.  They potentially will re-introduce once eradicated livestock diseases.  They are far more than a nuisance.

You can shoot them, but more than this- you can make a nice income stream from them.

Approved measures in TX include installing pens on the farm, where you can corral hogs, so they can be humanely dispatched, butchered at the appropriate facility, and sold to the high-end European wild boar market.  For the right farmer, this will provide a nice extra income.  There is some available research on this, and established marketing channels- try google.

Jackie in NJ