market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Digging Dogs and Feral Hogs, Anyone?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Digging Dogs and Feral Hogs, Anyone?
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 18:15:30 -0600

Hi Jackie,

The perimeter fence line in question is only about a mile total length.
Thanks for the info about hog behavior, very helpful.

I'll look into hog panels - any tips for affixing them so they cannot be
lifted? Are you talking about fastening them to the existing fence posts,
which in my case are mostly t-posts and 2 3/4" steel tube with a few 5"
wooden posts? The concern I have on this idea is the existing field fence is
brand new, put up by professional fence builders, and strung tight within an
inch of its life. Even so, these dogs have found the weak spots in the soil
itself, i.e, under the tree canopy where it's bare, and have dug holes under
the fence. I'm concerned that without either a hot wire to get their
attention or some kind of barrier beneath the soil, the feral hogs would do
the same thing to the hog panels, dig underneath where the soil is more
pliable. Would like to hear thoughts on that concern from people who've
raised hogs or dealt with feral hogs such as yourself.

Thanks for all the great thoughts, keep them coming,
Laurie