market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Home and farm insurance recommendations?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Kakerby <kakerby AT aol.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Home and farm insurance recommendations?
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 15:12:59 -0500 (EST)

One thing we just did, was fold my daily driver truck insurance into our farm policy.  I'm still debating the pro's and con's of that move.  On the one hand, I had heard from several pro's (including insurance adjustors) that if my truck was involved in an accident while transporting farm goods, equipment, livestock, etc, my then-coverage could have been denied for using the truck for commercial purposes.  That also rolls the policy payment into my monthly house payment, rather than having it as a separate bill, so I have one less bill to remember every month.  On the other hand, it's slightly more expensive than my standalone auto coverage was.

We just switched over so I haven't had a chance to really get a feel for the workability of that arrangement yet.  I will sleep better at night knowing that if I'm in an accident while on farm business, it'll be covered by the farm business insurance.  And the value of whatever I was transporting will also be covered (that was the item most likely to NOT be covered had I been in an accident with my previous coverage).  Don't like the higher expense though.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA