market-farming - [Market-farming] Glad I have; wish I had?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Glad I have; wish I had?
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 08:23:15 -0400

Transition time at our market.  Though some of our growers are done for the season, customers are still coming, willing to buy.  I want vendors at our market to meet that demand as long and seamlessly as possible.  Including me!

Glad I have mushrooms and chard.  Also late green beans.  Could sell more of all those now.

Wish I had lettuce now (an entire planting got washed away).
Wish I had more greens of any type.  They are coming, but not ready yet.

Any tips for harvesting lettuces and spinach in Sept and early Oct?  Or other crops that are good income generators?  Getting them going in late Aug and Sept, despite highly variable air and soil temps, and soil moisture?

How do some of you plan the transition, where you have ample supply of fresh veggies in Sept and October?

Thanks,
Richard
SW VA