market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Insect Pressure

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Insect Pressure
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 10:10:02 -0400

On May 31, 2012, at 5:22 AM, Dalew Farms wrote:

Flea beetles are much stronger than we've ever seen them. [ . . .]  Any thoughts on the pros and cons of using rotonone dust?

I used to use rotenone for flea beetles, years ago. On my place it provided good control temporarily, though the population would sometimes rebound later. I do remember hearing about resistant populations, however, so if it's commonly used in your area that might be a concern.

It's also no longer acceptable for organic production; hasn't been since the USDA standards took over, and I think wasn't allowed by some certifiers before then. I think the concern was that the manufacturer wouldn't disclose all the "inert" ingredients, but there was if I recall correctly also some concern that toxicity levels to mammals might have been underestimated. I'm also fairly sure it's toxic to fish; and it is fairly broad spectrum to insects. When I did use it I was careful to only use it on the crops I was having problems with, so beneficials in other crops weren't damaged.