market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Insect Pressure

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Owsley <boulderbelt AT embarqmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Insect Pressure
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 16:53:22 -0400

here in Ohio i am seeing few pests and I believe it is because we do not spray anything for insects, not even neem or soap and have allowed our beneficial insect population to really build up and they seem to be keeping things in check. We also have been into major soil building and feeding the past 2 years and that has also had a positive effect. We didn't have any asparagus beetles at all on the asparagus until about 5 days ago and 7 days ago I quit cutting it as sales had fallen way off and my CSA members were not taking much at pick up. And the population we have is well under past years (and about 2 weeks later than normal).

I also think our hot March followed by a cold wet April has also killed off a lot of pests around here.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm
Eaton, OH
http://www.boulderbeltfarm.com