market-farming - [Market-farming] rapid strawberry planting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Burke Farm <burkefarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] rapid strawberry planting
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 12:20:01 -0400

I planted 1500 strawberry plants last week.  Me + 2 teenage helpers got it done in a 9 - 5 day with a lunch break, 1 of the helpers left at noon.  This included potting 300 - 400 of them into 4" pots (slower than field planting) and running the drip lines out to the plants.   We did not use any tools other than our hands, just had the soil worked up fairly well.  So I think you can do it a little faster than 1 plant per minute, even with fairly unskilled help.

Now we're ready for some rain.. the drip lines are doing the job, but everything out there could use the real stuff.

Lisa Burke
Farming Engineers LLC
central IN z5b