market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] farmland/ranchland preservation

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] farmland/ranchland preservation
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 10:06:44 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  Barb McKillip emailed me both on-list and then again off-list with some local conservation group referrals, along with the national groups that others have mentioned.  Barb, I hope you weren't too late for work this morning!   And yes, Margaret, she's trying to do a 1031 exchange.  I didn't want to get too technical in my email but that's exactly what she's planning to do.

We're not potential buyers (boy I wish we had that kind of money!).  We don't even know the seller.  My Dad's commercial property would be one of the properties involved in the 1031 exchange if it happens.  But his commercial property is a drop in the bucket in appraised value compared to the total appraised worth of the seller's parcel.  It's a huge piece of ground - 30 contiguous square miles +/-, within easy driving distance of two metro areas.  You can imagine the dollar value and development pressure on something like that.  I imagine she's being "entertained" with all sorts of commercialization offers, so our voices will be only one in a large group clamoring for her attention.  I also don't know if it's currently in agricultural production.  A lot of those pieces of ground went fallow as the commercial herds were sent to market and never replaced.  Many folks would never dream of it ever being productive, and thus it would only be logical to develop "wasted" ground.  We hope to educate them otherwise.

As I told Barb, this transaction is such a huge opportunity to make "a difference", that I could hardly sleep last night.  Even preserving some of it would, I think, get me a few more points towards admission to Heaven or wherever Good Deed Doers go when they die.  I have to say, I have no idea if the landowner is even interested.  I hope she is.  I'll keep everyone posted.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html