market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] farmland/ranchland preservation

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Margaret L. Wilson" <booldawgs AT frontiernet.net>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] farmland/ranchland preservation
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 09:53:58 -0400

Margaret, if you want to be sure the land will be used for agriculture instead of development, you can sell it with a conservation easement on it. You'll probably get paid less, but the land will be protected. You'd have to do this before agreeing to any sale. If you can afford to do so, please consider it.

The current purchaser may be interested in beef production right now, but an easement can protect it through future property transfers and changes in real estate conditions.