market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Glyphosate

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Brian <bcluton AT aol.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Glyphosate
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 21:03:35 -0400

I think your definitely right to a point. Marketability and ultimately
profitability have a profound effect on what will come down the GE pipeline.
That said there are GE fresh and processing vegetables in the pipeline and
marketplace already. An obvious one that comes to mind is Bt sweet corn.

I think the initial growth of GE into the fresh / processing vegetable
industry will be through old standbys. IE. High acreage vegetables that can
benefit from transfer of already developed transgenes such as Bt and Round Up
Ready.

More vegetable novel transgenes will be on the heels of those. New
resistances, traits, etc.

We need a labeling program....

Brian