market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Planet Jr seeder

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Don Lareau <dlareau AT tds.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Planet Jr seeder
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 13:05:27 -0600

I am using tractor driven Planet Jr seeders for the first time so I can do it faster and cultivate with an Allis Chalmers G.  I would love any advice for a newbie on using these seeders.  Either something I can read online or your experience would be great.  Mostly looking at doing crops like beets, carrots, parsnips, spinach, maybe sunflowers, beans, corn etc.  Some of the questions I have are:

At what speed do I travel, and how does it affect spacing and how do you dial this in quickly?

How do I check to see how many seeds per foot are actually coming out?

Do I need or want a scatter shoe for beets carrots or?

Are the seed plate settings they recommend good?

Any other bed prep advice or settings advice would be great thanks so much.
Don

Don Lareau
Zephyros Farm and Garden
11466 3725 Rd.