market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] planet jr seeder

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Thomas Kumpf <tjkumpf AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] planet jr seeder
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 09:36:27 -0700 (PDT)

Don,
I have a G with 3 planet jrs. Most of my seeding is done with a push PJ,
mostly b/c of the volume or lack of it with some crops....when I do use it, i
seed in 1st gear. Many times I thin out the seed in the hopper with
something like kelp meal for carrots, 2:1 ratio using a regular shoe. I don't
know how much stuff you are planting, but the G does it so quickly that I
often spend more time doing the set up than the actual seeding, and then its
time to switch seeds. With all the successions I do its simpler to just do
it with the push model.
You can do all the calculation with a long piece of freezer paper and
just count the seed drop. I do this with the push model and the tractor
mounted are the same, otherwise you have to pull one off the tractor to
figure it out. PJ does have a sticker that mounts inside the hopper with
hole size/veggie/seed count per foot. This varies with varieties within a
veggie as some seeds are bigger/smaller than avg.
Maybe give some of us a clue as to how much you are planting. Often
times I have to thin out things as the PJ's plant thicker stands than a plate
seeder like the Earthway.
Tom Kumpf, Double T Farm, Raleigh, NC