market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] growing on plastic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] growing on plastic
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 10:22:38 -0500

To add to what Lucy said, rain will penetrate the fabric as well which means you do not necessarily need to run irrigation on it.  If you do, you can simply run it on top or use a gun/sprinkler.

Its is not as flexible as the plastic so I have no idea how well it would work with a mulch layer where you are using well formed beds.

We have had the same experience in terms of it lasting but I am curious if there are any studies out there regarding reuses and pathogen/disease vectors for plants.  If they are is there a way to clean them?

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855