market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] growing on plastic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Owsley <boulderbelt AT embarqmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] growing on plastic
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 10:05:52 -0500

We use landscape fabric that we have burned holes into at differing spacing depending on the crop. We reuse them for years (our oldest is 11 years and still going strong).

We used to use IRT plastic but had issues with trashing after at most 2 seasons but usually after one season it was in really bad shape especially where dogs and weed whackers had put tears and holes into it. And where ever a hole appears weeds soon follow. Don't have that issue with landscape fabric. But because the lanscape fabric comes in much shorter lengths, especially if you cut it to fit you beds and they are less than 500' a mulch layer may not work for putting them down. i don't know because we put all ours down by hand (fun job when you do 200+ beds).

One thing about landscape fabric, you can get it at any garden center including most of the box stores. Not true for IRT and the like.

--
Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm