market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] sprayers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] sprayers
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 15:09:59 -0600

We bought our 60 gallon 3-pt mounted PTO-driven boom sprayer custom-built to
our needs, via our local Kubota dealer, from Ag-Meier out of Belton, TX. We
don't do tradition row cropping, so our bed width and spacing between beds is
not "standard". It is very well-built, plus we added a couple of heavy duty
options. It is very solid. We paid $2,450 in September 2009. We've used it
quite a bit, mainly for foliar fertilization, always with organic inputs. It
came with 2 sets of nozzles. That was the biggest sprayer they offered that
we could safely tote full on the back of our tractors, both of which are Cat
1. Ours included a small agitation motor for circulation, as that was a
priority for us as well.

Here's their main page , http://ag-meier.net/ and sprayer page
http://ag-meier.net/3pt.asp.

Northern Tool <northerntool.com>, Tractor Supply <tractorsupply.com>, Harbor
Freight <harborfreight.com>, Atwood's <http://atwoods.com/>, Gempler's
<http://www.gemplers.com/> also each have a variety of sprayers. Some have 3
pt, others have just pull behind, ATV, etc. Our experience in this area has
been that Tractor Supply's 3 pt tools are not usually as heavy duty as
Northern Tool, Gempler's, and what the tractor dealers sell. Just depends on
what you want and how much you want to spend. The pricing I've seen on
spraying rigs similar to ours from other places with with similar heavy duty
build have ranged from much more expensive ($5k-$6k) to much less if you are
handy enough to build your own. While I'm sure there are some out there, I've
not seen one that is close to the features we got on ours with the ruggedness
for less than we paid. But then again we pretty much quit looking once we
bought.

If I was mechanically inclined, I might have tried to build my own, but I'm
not so I didn't.

Hope that helps, and good luck,

Laurie
Barking Cat Farm