market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Making raised beds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Making raised beds
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 20:35:11 -0500

We do not make raised beds, we make compressed foot paths.  :)

Its the most simple method we have found.  We have a 72" reverse tiller and fluff up the soil.  What we direct seed and transplant into is extremely loose.  By the time we have raked (using this terms loosely to describe leveling any unevenness from tilling) and planted foot paths are well defined.  This year we are planting clover in the foot paths between beds that get a single yearly crop (basil peppers, annual herbs, kale, swiss chard).

Just a different way to achieve something similar that requires less energy.  I would caution attempting to do this with poorly draining soils.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855