market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] changes due to new USDA zoning map

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] changes due to new USDA zoning map
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 21:04:07 -0500 (EST)

Actually I have found the climate maps useless but for slightly different reasons.  At least the old maps were based largely on last/first frost dates.  Given our proximity to the Pacific, our frost dates are skewed to be the same as locations very much further south in the continental USA.  But our heat units and summertime high temp averages are nothing like those climates with which we share our zoning classification.  That's part of why I don't particularly care for the maps.  I wasn't sure if perhaps that had changed with this new mapping effort.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html