market-farming - [Market-farming] NRCS for 'Rolling Thunder'

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Keith Morris <earthsurfing AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "burkholders AT glenecofarm.com" <burkholders AT glenecofarm.com>
  • Cc: "market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] NRCS for 'Rolling Thunder'
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 11:57:48 -0500

Hi All,

We received NRCS/ EQIP funding for a 'Rolling Thunder' greenhouse. The
funding offered/ received was the same money any grower would receive for a
30 x 72 single-layer basic high tunnel. The difference for upgrading to a 30
x 96, double layer, and 'Rolling Thunder' was out of pocket. It was also
required to do an engineered/ manufactured movable greenhouse, we would not
have been allowed to design/ fabricate our own greenhouse rotation system.

The advantages is being able to easily move the house with just a few people
(and not have to drive over permanent beds) are definitely worth the cost.

However, funding stipulations aside, it would be very easy (and much less
expensive) to design your own means of rolling the greenhouse down the field.
I'm happy to offer support or consultation for any growers in the northeast-
we specialize in greenhouse siting, design, and construction and could easily
convert any existing high tunnel into a rolling house.

Happy new year,
Keith
Willow Crossing Farm

www.prospectrock.org