market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Now......GMO sweet corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Now......GMO sweet corn
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 08:28:28 -0400

The below statement is false.  Ground water issue, drift, run-off stream and river and lake contamination is/was huge.  The younger generation of urban farms often time miss this.  We tend to forget just how bad things were getting in the 70s and early 80s.  I am not saying that having a huge amount of Bt out there is better or worse.  I am all for organic and/sustainable (because large scale organic production is no more sustainable than conventional).  I am simply saying that we KNOW the pressure on our environment from the the agricultural sprays we used in the three decades leading up to these newer sprays were horrible.

I KNOW what and when my neighbors plant and plan accordingly if they choose not to work with me (we are all friends and farmers so we work together...I donot look at them as the enemy and am now trying to get them to grow some things for me).  My suggestion is that you try this.  Little things like knowing the days to maturity, when they are going to plant and what variety they are planting will help resolve SOME of the issues.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855