market-farming - [Market-farming] Now......GMO sweet corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mike Rock <mikerock AT mhtc.net>
  • To: CSAfarmers AT yahoogroups.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Now......GMO sweet corn
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 14:26:01 -0500

Here is a warning bulletin I just received.
Mike

Dear Mike,

Two weeks ago Food Democracy Now! called for the resignation of former
Monsanto super lobbyist and current Food Safety Czar Michael Taylor and
our friends at CREDO Action joined in. Together, more than 150,000
farmers, citizens and food activists in all 50 states joined the call for
Taylor's resignation.

Now we're joining forces to call on the CEOs of major grocery store chains
like Safeway, Kroger, Walmart and Supervalue to refuse to carry Monsanto's
new GMO sweet corn on their shelves or sell it to their customers.

In our democracy we need every voice to be heard in the battle to regain
our food supply from the abuse of corporate power.

[1]Please take a moment to join Food Democracy Now! and our friends at
CREDO Action in the call to protest Monsanto's GMO sweet corn from being
sold major grocery retailers in the U.S. We can only win if we stand up
and now is the time!

David Murphy, Food Democracy Now!

[2]CREDO Action | more than a network. a movement.

[3]Grocery store CEOs: Refuse Monsanto's GMO sweet corn!

[4]No Monsanto GMO sweet corn!
Clicking here to add your name to this petition to major US
grocery stores:

[5]"As a consumer, I refuse to purchase Monsanto's new
genetically-modified sweet corn and urge you to avoid this
potentially toxic product. Please protect your customers and
reject this new GMO corn."
[6]Add your name:
[7]Take action now!
[8]Learn more about this campaign

[9]Tell U.S. food companies: Americans don't want Monsanto's GMO
sweet corn in our grocery stores!

Dear David,

As early as this fall, Monsanto, the corporation responsible for
producing roughly 90% of genetically modified seeds around the
globe, will try to bring their new, GMO sweet corn to a grocery
store aisle or farmer's market near you.^1

[10]Tell U.S. food companies: Americans don't want Monsanto's GMO
sweet corn in our grocery stores!

Unlike Monsanto's other GMO crops, which are primarily fed to
animals, this sweet corn is intended for direct human consumption.

This is the first time Monsanto has engineered a vegetable that
could be served straight to your dinner table. And if this
unlabeled, and potentially toxic crop succeeds, Monsanto is sure
to bring us even more.

As an activist and consumer, you are in a powerful position to
pressure leading U.S. grocery stores to reject Monsanto's new GMO
corn.

[11]Tell U.S. food companies: Americans don't want Monsanto's GMO
sweet corn in our grocery stores!

Just as other GMO foods are not required to have special labeling,
consumers will have no way of knowing if they're purchasing
Monsanto's new genetically modified sweet corn.

A past study released by the International Journal of Biological
Sciences found that Monsanto's GMO corn, which is engineered to
release pesticide and tolerate the herbicide Roundup, led to
potential organ failure in mammals.^2 Now Monsanto wants to sell
GMO sweet corn in grocery stores across the country, putting
potentially dangerous genetically modified food on the plates of
unsuspecting consumers.

Even worse, since Monsanto's new sweet corn is genetically
modified to tolerate Roundup, this new GMO sweet corn could pass
the same health and infertility problems that Food Democracy Now!
previously documented in our video interview of Dr. Don Huber, a
retired plant pathologist who discovered a link between Roundup to
crop disease and livestock infertility, on to humans who consume
Monsanto's GMO sweet corn.^3

This time, the USDA will not be able to say they hadn't been
warned about possible serious negative health impacts caused by
GMOs.

[12]Tell U.S. grocery stores: Americans don't want Monsanto's GMO
sweet corn! Click here to automatically sign the petition.

If it couldn't get any worse, Monsanto is including traits in its
new sweet corn to make it immune to Roundup herbicide and to
produce the Bt toxin that kills insects. This past spring a
Canadian study found that the GMO toxin inserted in Bt Corn was
found in the bloodstreams of 93 percent of pregnant women.^4

Now they plan to feed us this stuff? I don't think so!

While the problems with crop disease and livestock infertility and
the GMO toxins found in mother's blood come from processed grains
and highly process food products, this new GMO sweet corn will
contain both those toxic genes fed directly to consumers without
any processing. This means Americans could face direct harm from
these products, whose safety is now highly suspect.

Please join fellow food activists and concerned consumers alike in
publicly rejecting Monsanto's potentially dangerous new product.

[13]Tell U.S. food companies: Americans don't want Monsanto's GMO
sweet corn in our grocery stores! Click here to automatically sign
the petition.

Thank you for standing up to Monsanto and its dangerous GMO
products.

Mark Anthony Dingbaum, Campaign Manager
[14]CREDO Action

Sources:

1. [15]Monsanto Plans To Sell Sweet Corn In Your Local Supermarket
August 8, 2011.

2. [16]Monsanto's GMO Corn Linked To Organ Failure, Study Reveals
March 18, 2011.

3. [17]Dr. Huber's Warning: How GMOs Are Linked to Disease and
Infertility May 4, 2011.

4. [18]GM Food Toxins Found In The Blood of 93% of Unborn Babies
May 20, 2011.