market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Deer Repellent

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Deer Repellent
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 21:35:54 -0400

Our neighbor had 8-9 deer at a time in his yard during daylight. They
were hitting his large garden hard at night. Then they started into
our crops so we called the wildlife control officer. Got a permit to
kill 4; he explained this was varmint control, not hunting, so we
could spotlight and shoot at night. A number of rules still applied.

Got advice on which of the herd to take out, to change the behavior of
the remainder. Shot those 4 at one sitting, and the others have not
been back. Ate venison tonight, as the new freezer bought for beef is
now full.

Richard Moyer
SW VA, where the weather has finally turned.