market-farming - [Market-farming] First frost date

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mike Rock <mikerock AT mhtc.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] First frost date
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 14:04:42 -0500

Well, tonight we have a date with Mr. Frosty. Lots of plastic being spread to cover peppers and tomatoes and my favorite zinnias.

Historically we have a mid-September killing frost then Indian Summer commences. Full moon in Sept. usually marks the frost date. We escaped that, but only by a few days, so no major lengthening of our growing season due to global warming as of now.

Hope the weather guesser is wrong, but better safe than sorry.

Mike

South western Wisconsin, almost on Illinois line above Freeport, Il.