market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Anyone planting Fall crops in drought areas?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Anyone planting Fall crops in drought areas?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 13:36:05 -0500

On Sep 10, 2011, at 7:29 PM, Willie McKemie wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 05:30:34PM -0500, Barking Cat Farm wrote:
>
>> We were hoping for some feedback from those of you who have either
>> experienced drought in the past or are in one now. Are you able to plant?
>> If so, how are you preparing your planting areas? And are you getting good
>> germination on direct seeded crops without rainfall? If so, are you using
>> overhead irrigation of some kind?
>
> We are blessed with good volume of low quality (Carrizo-Wilcox) ground
> water. We've recently been surrounded by the Bastrop and Caldwell
> county fires. No closer than about 10 miles, though.

Thanks Willie, I think that's our first problem to solve - getting an
additional water source. Glad the fires are not closer to y'all. From other
growers we've heard from off the list, they either are paying really high
water bills or they have a well. Some are soaking their beds with drip tape,
some are using sprinklers. If we had more water, that's what we'd have to do
at this point.

> Our oasis is attracting a large number of critters. More skunks than
> I've seen before. We leave the turkeys alone and trap as many skunks,
> possum, squirrels, and coons as we can.

We're seeing the same problem. All the wildlife is desperate for food &
water.

Kim