market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Anyone planting Fall crops in drought areas?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Anyone planting Fall crops in drought areas?
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 19:29:21 -0500

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 05:30:34PM -0500, Barking Cat Farm wrote:

> We were hoping for some feedback from those of you who have either
> experienced drought in the past or are in one now. Are you able to plant?
> If so, how are you preparing your planting areas? And are you getting good
> germination on direct seeded crops without rainfall? If so, are you using
> overhead irrigation of some kind?

We are blessed with good volume of low quality (Carrizo-Wilcox) ground
water. We've recently been surrounded by the Bastrop and Caldwell
county fires. No closer than about 10 miles, though. About 80 days
this year above 100 deg. No rain to speak of. About 15/100 several
weeks ago, an inch or two about two months ago.

We have good luck bring crops up with drip tape. Something like 12
hours on and 24 off. And just keeping it up until you get germination.
Then, slacking off to once every 3 to 5 days. We are doing peas and
zucchini every couple of weeks now. Had good luck with onions and
carrots over the winter. Earlier in the season, we had good luck
getting okra up. Once the crops get their roots down, we furrow
irrigate between 5' beds about 6" high. Rows 400'+.

Now, you tell me how to keep the weeds out of the lushly watered crops?

Our oasis is attracting a large number of critters. More skunks than
I've seen before. We leave the turkeys alone and trap as many skunks,
possum, squirrels, and coons as we can.

We've been pumping either 20 or 40 gallons per minute around the clock
for about six months with about one week off after a rain.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 80 days 10 hours 32 minutes