market-farming - [Market-farming] 'Late' Planting of fall/winter crops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] 'Late' Planting of fall/winter crops
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 07:09:19 -0400

We have requests from chefs and customers for greens and 'baby' root
crops, for Nov, Dec and winter.

Which root crops can I plant now, and get enough growth for baby
roots? I often cover these outdoor beds with a single layer of spun
fabric, especially the first hard freezes and during cold winds.

Our historic first freeze is mid to late Oct, though it's been
early-mid Nov last two years.

Will be putting spinach and lettuce in our tunnel later, late tomatoes
blooming in there now.

Thanks,
Richard Moyer
SW VA