market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] farm stands

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tom & Melanie" <limerock AT thirdplanet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] farm stands
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 10:30:06 -0400

We have a tiny, seasonal roadside market on a state road in a summer tourist area.   All open air except for small walk-in and even small storage room.  Display shelves only across front of area.  Most everything was here at purchase 15 years ago.

Random thoughts:
Location – you mention a new drive, no road traffic to grab?  Gonna need advertising and publicity, either/both print and word-of-mouth.  Where are your customers coming from?  Population centers near by?  Are you ‘off the beaten path?’
Infrastructure  --  Cooler(s) are essential (IMHO).  Electricity?  Running water?
Labor  --  Who will do what needs to be done while you do the rest?  Can you trust them?  Is there an available labor pool near?
Product mix  --  Do you have what people want to buy?  Can you source it locally, both in quality and quantities needed?

These random thoughts are just a few that come to mind.

Two of the things business administration/marketing classes will tell you to do first are:
--  write a mission statement, and
--  do a SWOT (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats) analysis.
These should not be taken lightly.  They will help to uncover unexpected problems, guide you somewhat, and possibly give you new ideas .

(No, I have never done either for us!  Goes to show what the book-learning has done for a stubborn old guy.)

Tom
Limerock Orchards and Roadside Market
Near Lake Erie, OH

Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 8:32 AM
Subject: [Market-farming] farm stands

How many folks on this list have a farm stand?  We're thinking to set one up here, but it would take some effort to create a new driveway, build the building, etc.  And wow, we've seen some really successful ones and some real losers.  Any guiding principles?  Any good books or other information sources that could help us make the most of it?  Thanks.......
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA